Monday, June 1, 2009

Crossing One Off My List...


There are many bands I wish I could go back in time to see. For instance, I was a little too young to see Talking Heads. What if David Byrne made amends with Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz and Jerry Harrison and hit the road tomorrow? Would I be happy? Yes, it is Talking Heads, but it would be a far cry from seeing them in 1978. The show would probably be called Burberry's Talking Heads Presented by Kraft.

This is the dilemma I have with The Feelies. After a 17-year hiatus, the band reunited for four shows in and around New York in 2008. Now comes word they will give a free show in my neck of the woods at Chicago's Millennium Park on June 29. Do I want to see one of my favorite bands so many years after their peak? Further, do I want to see them in a setting akin to tailgating at a Bears game? Well, I'm going. The New York shows were critically acclaimed, and I want one of my favorite bands to leave my long list of those I missed. I hope it amounts to more than a nostalgia trip. Here's one from the "Doin' It Again" promo 12 inch.

The Feelies - Barstool Blues (mp3)

No comments: