Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It Was 25 Years Ago Today...


...Ryno taught the Cubs to play. The "Ryne Sandberg Game" was on NBC's Game of the Week, and the Cubs trailed 9-8 in the bottom of the 9th at Wrigley. Former Cub Bruce Sutter, baseball's most daunting closer, threw one low and in to Ryno. He hit it into the left-field bleachers to send it to extras. The Cards scored two in the 10th. Sutter pitched the home half of the 10th when Ryno hit another one out to tie it again. The Cubs went on to win it an inning later.

I was a brooding 13 year old watching the game on a little grainy black & white set in the family camper at a campground in Goodfield, Illinois. Although I had been going to Wrigley Field with my grandmother since 1979, this was the day I fell in love with baseball. Here are a few Top 40 hits from that summer I still like quite a bit to this day. Enjoy.

Talk Talk - It's My Life 12" (mp3)
Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream) (mp3)
The Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods 12" (mp3)

No comments: