Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New-Release Tuesday and Other News


'Wilco (The Album)' came out today, but it's another one of those records that feels like has been out for months. Here's what I had to say about it last month, and you can download my favorite song from the record (so far) below.

Other than that, the only other release of interest is a three-song EP from Austin's own Spoon. It's of interest because this is the first new music from them since the well-done 'Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga' album in 2007. The single, "Got Nuffin", according to Spoon, is supposed to tide us over until they come out with a new record. There is no release date for said record, however, and this song is not a homer. The band will be performing some new songs in Austin at Stubb's in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get a hold of them. All three songs on the 'Got Nuffin' EP are available on CD and by download today. The 12" will follow sometime in July.

Spoon - Got Nuffin (mp3)
Wilco - Wilco (The Song) (mp3)

Since it's a slow release week, I thought I would share a few songs from upcoming releases and let you know about some exciting music news. Then I'm going to take off a day or two to assemble my favorite songs from the first half of 2009. I hope to have them posted on Friday.

I'm very late to the Yo La Tengo party, but this prolific Hoboken trio has been heavily in my rotation for the last year. Shame on me. Matador has announced a release date of Sept. 8 for the new 2LP 'Popular Songs'. The first song has me excited for this one:

Yo La Tengo - Periodically Double or Triple (mp3)

It has been forever since we have heard from Eric D. Johnson's Fruit Bats. The follow-up to 2005's 'Spelled In Bones' is coming out Aug. 4 on Sub Pop, and this is the first single from 'The Ruminant Band'. It sounds to me like early lo-fi Of Montreal. I hope that's a compliment.

Fruit Bats - My Unusual Friend (mp3)

Scott McCaughey has been very busy, but it will all seem worth it on July 7 when both of his bands release new records for Yep Roc. Young Fresh Fellows return after an eight-year hiatus with the same lineup they have had since the '80s. I'm sure 'I Think This Is' will be full of lyrics that bring laughs. As for his other band, The Minus 5, regulars Ken Stringfellow and R.E.M.'s Peter Buck return with lots of interesting guests on 'Killingsworth'. Take a listen:

Young Fresh Fellows - YOUR Mexican Restaurant (mp3)
The Minus 5 - The Long Hall (mp3)

Not much info on this one yet, but Apples in Stereo are getting the "Best Of" treatment from Yep Roc on Sept. 1. The 16-track
'#1 Hits Explosion' seems to cover the band's entire career, but this is not confirmed since the track list isn't available yet. I hope this one makes the cut:

No comments: