Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Listen: Vivian Girls and More

On Sept. 8, Brooklyn female trio Vivian Girls returns with the sophomore effort 'Everything Goes Wrong', and here are a couple of sneak listens. The blogosphere and even the gals themselves are calling the album moodier, but this seems to be the same wonderful fuzzy '60s sounds we got on the self-titled album and the great singles that followed. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Vivian Girls - When I'm Gone (mp3)
Vivian Girls - Before I Start to Cry (mp3)

On July 27, I wrote the following:
Neil Finn's son Liam has an EP followup to his debut album 'I'll Be Lightning' coming out on Sept. 1. The five-song 'Champagne in Seashells' was done with bandmate Eliza Jane-Barnes, and her name will appear on the name of the record alongside his, in part, because of her increased role and lead vocals on one of the tunes. The first 250 preorders will receive an autographed copy from Yep Roc. I'll pass along songs from... Finn as soon as I can get my mitts on them.
Well, I got my mitts on some new Finn. You will not be disappointed.

Liam Finn + Eliza Jane - Plane Crash (mp3)

I just wrote about Brendan Benson's new record this week. Here is the album opener. I put the energy of this one up there with his 'Lapalco' opener "Tiny Spark". Don't say I never give you anything.

Brendan Benson - A Whole Lot Better (mp3)

No comments: