Thursday, January 7, 2010

Former Delgado Preps Second Album

I was heartbroken when The Delgados broke up after the release of 'Universal Audio' in 2004. The band didn't have a dud in its discography and were the darlings of critics, 'Melody Maker' and the late John Peel. Still, for some inexplicable reason, they never quite broke through here in America. I wasn't a crazy fanatic of Alun Woodward's vocals, but I was definitely in love with Emma Pollock's pipes. So, I waited to see what she would do next.

Finally, in 2007, I was rewarded with 'Watch The Fireworks'. I wouldn't quite put it up there with the 'The Great Eastern', 'Hate' or 'Universal Audio', but it was a strong solo debut that included quite a few standout tracks. One song, "Acid Test", even landed on my list of the decade's best. The handful of songs from 'Watch The Fireworks' that didn't quite work for me seemed a little too adult contemporary, if you get what I mean. According to Amazon, the album is out of print, but you can still purchase it as a digital download. If you want to try out a couple of songs before buying the whole record, I suggest "Limbs" and the previously mentioned "Acid Test".

I'm proud to pass along that Pollock's second album, 'The Law Of Large Numbers', is set for release in March. Former Delgados drummer Paul Savage produced it for Chemikal Underground, the label founded by the band some 15 years ago. Based on the first song she's given us, Pollock is in fine form. Here is the tracklist.

1. Hug The Piano (And)
2. Hug The Harbour
3. I Could Be A Saint
4. Red Orange Green
5. Nine Lives
6. House On The Hill
7. Letters To Strangers
8. The Loop
9. Confessions
10. The Child In Me
11. Chemistry Will Find Me
12. Hug The Piano (Or)

Emma Pollock - Hug The Harbour (mp3)

No comments: