Tuesday, February 9, 2010

As the Holiday of Love Approaches...

Here are a couple of songs you wouldn't want to share with your honey this Valentine's Day, but I share them with you to remind us all of a time not so long ago when there was no such thing as political correctness.

Aretha Franklin will not be remembered for her days at Columbia, and I don't hesitate to state her later work at Atlantic cannot be matched. This song, however, from her second album, 'The Electrifying Aretha Franklin', shows she had the chops as far back as 1962. Even though I have heard "Rough Lover" -- the first song on side two -- dozens of times, I still can't help but be shocked by the lyrics. Here are some samples that would make your best gal blush. This is ripped right from the vinyl.

I want a rough lover
I want a man
I want a rough, tough lover
And I'll bite him if I can
He's got to bite nails
Fight bass
And if I get sassy be a man who dares
to shut me up and kiss me so I know he cares
I want a man

I want a boss
I want a mean, sweet daddy
who is a devil when he's cross
He's got to spit fire
chew iron
and then start roarin' like a mountain lion
and whisper that he loves me so I know he's mine

I want a man
don't want no cream puff, baby...


Aretha Franklin - Rough Lover (mp3)

Frank Sinatra was certainly not known for his political correctness, but he took this theme to an enjoyable level when he recorded the Burt Bacharach tune "Wives and Lovers". You can find it on the 1964 album he did with the Count Basie Orchestra called 'It Might As Well Be Swing'. I have never seen 'Mad Men' but, from what I have heard, this would be a great song to use on that television program. Check out some of the lyrics.

Hey, little girl
Comb your hair
Fix your makeup
Soon he will open the door

Don't think because
There's a ring
On your finger
You need not try anymore

For wives should always be lovers too
Run to his arms
The moment he comes home to you
I'm warning you

Day after day
There are girls at the office
And men will always be men
Don't send him off
With your hair still in curlers
You may not see him again


That's why he was called "The Chairman Of The Board".

Frank Sinatra - Wives and Lovers (mp3)

No comments: