Monday, May 10, 2010

Minor Hits Of The '80s: Naked Eyes Edition

The duo of Peter Byrne and Rob Fisher is one of my great guilty pleasures. Their self-titled debut produced two massive hits in "Always Something There To Remind Me" (No. 8) and "Promises Promises" (No. 11), but I think the entire album is enjoyable. I bought it when it came out in '83, and it is one of only a handful of records from my vast vinyl collection that has been with me for more than 25 years.

"When The Lights Go Out," the third single from that debut album, wasn't nearly as successful as those first two songs. It barely cracked the Top 40, petering out at No. 37. If you loved the first two singles, give it a listen. You won't be disappointed. Byrne and Fisher went into the studio soon after this one and came up with 'Fuel For The Fire.' The disappointing album came and went very quickly in mid-'84. One single, "(What) In The Name Of Love," squeaked into the Top 40, peaking at No. 39. I like the song, but I think you have to be a real fan to appreciate it.

Naked Eyes split right after this album. There will never be a nostalgic reunion to cash in on their two huge hits. Fisher, the keyboardist and brains behind the music, died in 1999. Naked Eyes is long gone, but I have not forgotten them.

Naked Eyes - When The Lights Go Out (mp3) ripped from my very old vinyl!
Naked Eyes - (What) In The Name Of Love (mp3)

More Minor Hits Of The '80s
Matt Bianco Edition

No comments: