Friday, May 14, 2010

Minor Hits Of The '80s: Paul Carrack Edition

Although I love Paul Carrack's work with Nick Lowe and Squeeze, my affinity for Carrack as a solo artist is limited to one album. In 1981, Carrack took Jools Holland's spot in Squeeze for one LP, 'East Side Story.' In a real coup when you consider he was in a band with Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook, Carrack sang lead on the signature tune "Tempted." At the time, the song was the band's biggest hit, peaking at No. 49.

Carrack released the Lowe-produced album 'Suburban Voodoo' the next year, and it spawned the single "I Need You." Although it's a nice song, it sure sounds a lot like a slightly inferior take on "Tempted," don't you think? Shockingly, it fared a bit better on the Billboard chart, peaking at No. 37.

He would go on to have major hits with Mike + The Mechanics and, later, a Top 10 solo smash with "Don't Shed A Tear." I don't think any of these successes can touch "I Need You."

Paul Carrack - I Need You (mp3)

No comments: