Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Heart's Aflutter: New Song From The Coral

There is nothing like that moment when you discover a great new band. For me, I discovered the Coral in 2002 when they performed on 'Late Night With Conan O'Brien.' These young blokes treated us to "Dreaming Of You," and they sounded to me like something you might have heard on the 'Nuggets' box set. It was pure '60s garage. I bought their self-titled debut the next day. Although nobody seemed to notice on this side of the pond, the record was nominated for the Mercury Prize in their homeland, and NME ranked it the fourth-best record that year. As for accolades from me, the aforementioned single was No. 14 on my Best Tracks of the Decade list.

Although none of the Coral's follow-up albums quite captured my imagination quite like that debut, the band has put together a strong four-album discography. Now we get news that the fifth album is on the way. 'Butterfly House' will be out on July 12, and the first listen to a track can be found below or at their Web site. The band is one member lighter these days, and their sound has matured, but that same 'Nuggets' sound is still there. Needless to say, I love it. Look for the first official single, "1,000 Years," on July 5.

The Coral - Butterfly House (mp3)

No comments: