Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Songs in Cinema: 'Something Wild'

Unlike yesterday's submission, I have actually seen this film. I loved Jonathan Demme's flick when it came out in 1986, and it's still a pretty good watch today. It's the only time I can recall enjoying a Melanie Griffith performance. As for Jeff Daniels, I was already a bit of a fan because of 'Purple Rose of Cairo.' Throughout the years, Daniels has become one of my favorites. If he isn't one of yours, then you haven't seen 'The Squid and the Whale.' I digress.

The music in 'Something Wild' is stellar, but it doesn't necessarily mean the soundtrack reflected that. As often happens with soundtracks (for licensing and other reasons), the 10-song record omits many great tunes that appear in the film. Just a few examples of bands that didn't make the cut are Big Audio Dynmaite, Go-Betweens and X. Laurie Anderson and John Cale composed a really cool score that's nowhere to found on the album. For me, the biggest absence is the Feelies. A number of the group's songs are in the movie, and they even appear as the entertainment during the high-school reunion scenes. They perform rousing renditions of "I'm a Believer" and "Fame." Check out their take on the Bowie classic below.

I have spent quite a bit of time disparaging the soundtrack, and that's not really fair. A quick look at the tracklist below illustrates that. Demme directed 'Stop Making Sense,' and David Byrne returned the favor by providing the song that opens the movie. For me, that's why I initially bought the soundtrack. Sister Carol's appearance as a waitress that segues into her reggae rendition of the Troggs' "Wild Thing" to close the movie is a fan favorite. I still don't really understand why Jimmy Cliff was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I really like his song here. As I have mentioned in the past, Oingo Boingo appears on just about every soundtrack from the '80s. This is one of their better moments. You can still purchase the 'Something Wild' soundtrack here. Like yesterday, the mp3s below are taken from my very old vinyl.

Side A
1. Loco de Mor (Crazy for Love) - David Byrne with Celia Cruz (mp3)
2. Ever Fallen in Love? - Fine Young Cannibals
3. Zero, Zero Seven Charlie - UB40
4. Not My Slave - Oingo Boingo (mp3)
5. You Don't Have to Cry - Jimmy Cliff (mp3)

Side B
6. With You or Without You - Steve Jones
7. High Life - Sonny Okosun
8. Man With a Gun - Jerry Harrison
9. Temptation - New Order (mp3)
10. Wild Thing - Sister Carol

Bonus From the Film: Go-Betweens - Spring Rain (mp3)

No comments: