Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Curtain Call: Elvis Costello (9/22/94)

Prior to 1994, I had the privilege to see Elvis Costello a number of times, but the Japanese leg of the Brutal Youth Tour was very special to me because it marked the first time I ever saw Costello perform with the Attractions. As you know, Costello and his famed band went their separate ways after 'Blood and Chocolate' in 1986. So, this was a huge deal. In fact, I would only get to see Costello with the Attractions once more -- at the Capital Ballroom in Washington, D.C., on Aug. 9, 1996 -- before Bruce Thomas was gone for good. For the record, I saw the boys eight days after this show. It was in Osaka at Festival Hall, their final Japanese stop. I got the feeling they were ready to go, too. There was no opening band, and they actually started a little early. How often does a band even begin on time?

My Costello fandom was at an all-time high in '94. Not only was I enjoying 'Brutal Youth,' but this was right in the middle of the Ryko reissues. Seems silly now with the umpteen reissues that would follow, but I was buying them all as quickly as I could. There were about 2,700 very well-behaved fans in attendance that politely applauded when appropriate and never considered standing until the show had nearly concluded. That was in complete contrast to the standing-room only general-admission show I attended in D.C., but that's another story.

So, back to the bootleg. 'Brilliant Parade' is a whopping 29-song two-disc soundboard recording from Tokyo's Kosei Nenkin Hall. I have read quite a few reviews of these discs, and the so-called "audiologists" out there with the time and knowledge to grade such things always seem to rate this one highly. The crowd noise is almost non-existent, and it's easy to forget they are there. It gives this record a live in the studio feel.

As for the six (or seven) songs I have selected to share, I chose "Sulky Girl" because it's my favorite song from 'Brutal Youth.' "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror," Brilliant Mistake" and "So Like Candy" are here because I think there is a pretty good chance you haven't heard the Attractions perform them since they didn't appear on the studio versions. I have also included "Uncomplicated" from 'Blood and Chocolate' and another 'Brutal Youth' single that leads into one of the band's all-time crowd pleasers.

Disc 1:
1. Pony St.
2. Waiting for The End Of The World
3. Beyond Belief
4. Sulky Girl (mp3)
5. London's Brilliant Parade
6. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (mp3)
7. Oliver's Army
8. You'll Never Be A Man
9. Temptation
10. New Lace Sleeves
11. Clown Strike
12. Kinder Murder
13. Shabby Doll
14. Rocking Horse Road
15. Brilliant Mistake (mp3)

Disc 2:
1. So Like Candy (mp3)
2. This Year's Girl
3. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
4. Mystery Dance
5. You Belong To Me
6. 13 Steps Lead Down/Radio Radio (mp3)
7. Favourite Hour
8. Uncomplicated (mp3)
9. Lipstick Vogue
10. Watching The Detectives
11. Little Triggers
12. Alison
13. Peace, Love And Understanding
14. Pump It Up

Also See: Curtian Call: Elvis Costello (10/17/83)

No comments: