Thursday, December 2, 2010

Target Gives the Gift of Music This Christmas

When I first heard that Target was giving away a Christmas music sampler, my heart raced. Would Jim Noir's Christmas countdown song be on the mix. If you don't remember, in 2007 Noir wrote new words to his bouncy song "My Patch" for a Target commercial. Instead of "If you ever step on my patch / I'll bring you down / I'll bring you down," we heard "Holidays are times of magic / We're counting down / We're counting down." In case you have forgotten it, here's a quick look at the 30-second ad:



Well, I loved "My Patch" at the time and found the spectacle disgusting. I have softened my stance considerably since then and wish I had the entire holiday-themed version of the song often referred to as "Christmas Calendar." Truth is, I don't know if Noir ever even completed the song. Perhaps he just wrote those three lines. Anyway, I quickly checked the Target site for the mix and was disappointed to see Noir's song was absent. Still, discovering 13 free holiday tunes eased the pain.

There are a couple of goodies here, including songs by Best Coast/Wavves and Bishop Allen. The real find, however, is the tune by Coconut Records. If you don't know, Coconut Records is actually actor Jason Schwartzman, and he has released two really good albums out there, 'Nighttiming' and 'Davy.' In fact, I loved 'Davy' so much it was No. 4 on my list of last year's best albums. Hear his new holiday tune, "It's Christmas," right here:



Then download Target's entire holiday mix. Check back in the coming days for some of my favorite holiday songs. 'Tis the season, you know.

No comments: