Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hall-of-Fame Performances

With the nominations out, I was going to spend last night writing my annual rant against the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Baseball ended up trumping all of that. It was the best day for the sport... ever. I can't believe I was once against having the wild card. In 25 minutes I witnessed the Atlanta Braves complete the worst collapse in MLB history. It took less than a half hour for that record to be broken as the Boston Red Sox completed an even larger (and historic) choke job. Would they still have a chance to make the playoffs? NO! Less than three minutes later the Tampa Bay Rays' Evan Longoria hits a walk-off homer to finish an improbable comeback from a 7-0 deficit to the Yankees.

All three of these games either went into extra innings or ended with a comeback in the bottom of the ninth. A couple of winning teams were down to their last out or even their last strike. The drama was without peer. It would be like watching the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament and seeing three buzzer beaters in a row. So, as the regular season ends, all is right in the world. I don't have to watch the hillbillies attempt to do the tomahawk chop in unison into October, the Red Sox are epic losers again and my Cubbies are reserving tee times.

I'm just too happy to be a curmudgeon today. I'll let this year's list of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's nominees speak for itself. I actually like a couple of the bands here, but I don't think any of them should make the cut. It would be like letting a Lee Smith or Fred McGriff into the Baseball Hall of Fame. They were good... but not good enough.

2012 Nominees -- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Beastie Boys
The Cure
Donovan
Eric B. & Rakim
Guns N’ Roses
Heart
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
Freddie King
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rufus with Chaka Khan
The Small Faces/The Faces
The Spinners
Donna Summer
War

No comments: