Monday, September 19, 2011

Top 40 Albums of the 1980s (#30-#21)

Previous: Top 40 Albums of the 1980s (#40-#31)

30. 'In My Tribe'

10,000 Maniacs
1987
(Buy)



Much like the Ocean Blue (at No. 39), 10,000 Maniacs only captured my heart for one album, but this one recording has not let me go for going on a quarter century now. 'In My Tribe' is also the answer to a regrettable Mr. Linear Tracking Lives! trivia question. What was the first compact disc I ever bought? Yes, this was the beginning of a brief diversion from vinyl. I still don't own this one on wax. Their cover of "Peace Train" is the only stumble in an otherwise perfect record, and I just learned the song was pulled from the album after its first pressing. I guess I shouldn't have bought it so soon after its release.

29. '16 Lovers Lane'

The Go-Betweens
1988
(Buy)
The Go-Betweens - Love Goes On! (mp3)


I can't claim to have been enamoured by these Aussies during the "me decade." In fact, 'Liberty Belle & the Black Diamond Express' was the only album I owned by them in the '80s. My loss. Today, I would rank them among my all-time favorite bands, but that didn't happen, sadly, until about 10 years ago when the band reformed after a break that had spanned all of the '90s. I was really digging their new stuff. So, I went back into their catalog and realized I had missed several great albums... like this one.

28. 'Rattlesnakes'

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
1984
(Buy)
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Forest Fire (mp3)

By most accounts, this, their debut album, is the Scottish band's best. Mmmm, so close. There is one I liked better, but 'Rattlesnakes' is a damn good way to be introduced to these guys. You probably know "Perfect Skin," "Forest Fire" and "Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken?" from best-of packages, but this is the kind of record you can put on and have a seat until it's time to turn over the record.

27. 'Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti'

Squeeze
1985
(Buy)



Squeeze had an incredible run of pop albums prior to the band's breakup in 1982. And, yes, I did consider 'East Side Story' for this list. It's a great record, to be sure, but 'Cosi' is, by far, my most listened to Squeeze album. This one doesn't sound much like the Squeeze everyone knows and loves. It's a dark and moody affair sans those three-minute hand-clapping singles that made them popular. So, I get why this is the forgotten record of their discography, but its atmosphere is exactly why it makes for such a wonderful and complete album. I think a large amount of credit should go to Jools Holland, a master of the keyboard that returned to the band for a moment and quickly left again.

26. 'Let It Be'

The Replacements
1984
(Buy)
The Replacements - Unsatisfied (mp3)


If you're into these guys, you know their first two albums were loud, fast, sloppy and a hell of a good time. This is where the Minneapolis band begins to grow up just a bit. The immediate result was critical praise. In the long term, 'Let It Be' got major labels talking and negotiating. 'Let It Be' almost always makes a list like this. So, there should be no surprise here.

25. 'Brian Wilson'

Brian Wilson
1988
(Buy)



When I first listened to this record, I thought it was a miracle. Brian was back! Unfortunately, it was released at exactly the same time his old band was all over the radio with the dreadful "Kokomo." I couldn't believe the luck. There was this great album out there nobody was paying attention to because of that stupid single. Wilson had been out of the spotlight for many years and hadn't kept up with advances in the studio. That's best illustrated by the electronic drums used here that must have seemed cutting edge to him but had lost its luster at least a few year earlier. If you look past that and the '80s production, the songs themseves are quite good. I have seen Wilson perform many times since he returned to the stage 12 years ago. I wish he would play more songs from this forgotten album.

24. 'Steeltown'

Big Country
1984
(Buy)
Big Country - Just a Shadow (mp3)


If you aren't a fan, you might not understand this one, but Big Country was my favorite band in 1983 and 1984. Buying 'Steeltown' was one of those moments I will never forget. I know the day of the week, where I picked it up, how many copies there were, who I was with and how much I paid. I couldn't sleep the night before. 'Steeltown' is full of passionate anthems that used to, it seemed, fill every inch of my childhood bedroom. My favorites were (and still are) "Just a Shadow" and (back to back) "Where the Rose Is Shown" with "Come Back to Me." In this country the band will always be known for 'The Crossing,' bit I will never argue with anyone who says this was their best.

23. 'Meat Is Murder'

The Smiths
1985
(Buy)



There are those who think this album was annoying and a big disappointment. If you have read Rob Sheffield's 'Talking to Girls About Duran Duran,' then you know the writer spent much of an entire chapter hammering this point. I don't agree. This is the band's second-best album. If you find Morrissey's political stances grating, which seems to be the biggest complaint about 'Meat is Murder,' I don't see how you can be a fan. I'm not on the singer's side of the aisle very often, but I love the way he presents his case. And Johnny Marr's guitar didn't sound like anything else I was listening to in the mid-'80s. It wouldn't be long before those irked fans would come running back. More on that a little later in the countdown.

22. 'King of America'

The Costello Show
1986
(Buy)



I thought this album was doomed. Coming off the dismal 'Goodbye Cruel World' (c'mon, even Elvis Costello thought so), the news was the Attractions would only be on one track of 'King of America.' When I heard names like T-Bone Burnett, James Burton, Jim Keltner and Mitchell Froom were backing him, it was met with an indifferent shrug. Hey, I was just a lad. I didn't know these guys were legends. The result, of course, was a terrific piece of Americana worthy of being in the "best-work" conversation. In fact, I would say this was his last flawless record.

21. 'Listen Like Thieves'

INXS
1985
(Buy)



Prior to 1985, I liked a handful of the band's songs, but I had never gotten into one of their albums like this one. For about a year there I was all INXS all the time, but it didn't last. I thought the followup, 'Kick,' was pretty good -- I even saw them on that tour -- but that was it for me. If you like this record as much as I do, I highly recommend this live album from the period. It was released earlier this year.

No comments: