Friday, October 14, 2011

Big Country Remembers Classic Debut

Grrr. As if I needed another reason to be jealous of Big Country fans in the United Kingdom. First, I can't seem to get my hands on the import CD single of "Another Country," the new song from the reunited Big Country with Mike Peters of the Alarm at the mic. On this side of the pond, all I can get is the video for the song on iTunes, but that's not enough for me (although I did get it). I probably want the three live in-studio songs that are included on the CD even more than the single itself. One of them is "Just a Shadow," perhaps my all-time favorite from the band.

Now I read that to celebrate the 30th anniversary of 'The Crossing,' Big Country will tour the UK and Germany in 2012 and play their brilliant debut album in its entirety. The dates are already out (see below), and it may coincide with the planned reissue of the record. Then let's not forget Big Country will release a new album with producer Steve Lillywhite sometime next year as well. If "Another Country" is any indication of things to come, this should be a highly anticipated release for us fans.

As for the reissue of 'The Crossing,' I can't help but feel pessimism that there will be any extras on it that I don't already own. I have every 12" single, B-side, BBC session and demo that's been released from the era, as well as live albums like the famous New Year's Eve show at Barrowland. I'll cross my fingers the fellas have unearthed something new. In the meantime, here's a mini mix of possibilities for the reissue. Oh, and one more thing. C'mon, lads, help me get over this jealousy thing. Bring 'The Crossing' tour to America. To keep up with what's happening on that front, I suggest you check out the revamped Big Country Web site. If you haven't been there lately, it's a huge upgrade.

Big Country - Fields of Fire (demo) (mp3) -- from 'Rarities IV'
Big Country - Tracks of My Tears (live) (mp3) -- from "Chance" 12" single
Big Country - Balcony (mp3) -- from "Harvest Home" 12" single
Big Country - Heart & Soul (mp3) -- from 'Radio One Sessions'

'The Crossing' 2012 Tour
Feb. 3: Academy, Manchester, UK
Feb. 4: O2 Academy, Liverpool, UK
Feb. 6: Barrowland, Glasgow, UK
Feb. 7: Alhambra, Dunfermline, UK
Feb. 8: O2 Academy, Newcastle, UK
Feb. 9: O2 Academy, Leeds, UK
Feb. 11: O2 Shepherds Bush Empire, London, UK
Feb. 12: Hexagon, Reading, UK
Feb. 13: UEA, Norwich, UK
Feb. 15: O2 Academy, Bristol, UK
Feb. 16: Rock City, Nottingham, UK
Feb. 17: O2 Academy, Birmingham, UK
Feb. 18: O2 Academy, Sheffield, UK
March 9: Postbahnhof, Berlin, Germany
March 10: Zeche, Bochum, Germany

No comments: