Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Robyn Hitchcock Curates Hits Collection

Yep Roc, one of the great indie labels and a huge proponent of vinyl, is about to do something slightly odd... release a best-of collection from Robyn Hitchcock that will be available only as a digital download. The 16-track 'Chronology,' chosen by Hitchcock himself, spans his days with the Soft Boys through the Venus 3-backed 'Goodnight Oslo.' So, don't expect anything from the excellent 2011 release 'Tromsø, Kaptein,' but just about anything else goes. I'm a little disappointed the folks at Yep Roc chose to go the download-only route, but I guess this one is really a small sampler for the uninitiated anyway. The selections are tough to criticize (although I would have gone with "I'm Falling" or "Up to Our Nex" over Goodnight Oslo,"), and this looks like a great place for newbies to start. Enjoy a few clips -- including one from 'Late Night With David Letterman' circa 1989 and another where the show's host introduces him as "Robert Hitchcock" -- to get you in the mood.

'Chronology' Tracklist:
1. I Wanna Destroy You
2. Kingdom of Love
3. Only the Stones Remain
4. The Man Who Invented Himself
5. I Often Dream Of Trains
6. My Wife and My Dead Wife
7. If You Were a Priest
8. Balloon Man
9. Madonna of the Wasps
10. So You Think You're in Love
11. Queen Elvis
12. I Feel Beautiful
13. Mr. Kennedy
14. Full Moon in My Soul
15. Adventure Rocket Ship
16. Goodnight Oslo





No comments: