Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Rock-and-Roll Marriage Isn't Dead

What a bummer. First, the marriage of Ivan Howard and Kelly Crisp from the Rosebuds dissolved. Now comes word Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth are separating after 27 years as husband and wife. When I just asked myself whether there is a rock-and-roll couple to respect, I was reminded of a great show I saw back in 1996. Marti Jones opened for Marshall Crenshaw at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C., and her husband, producer extraordinaire Don Dixon, was in her band that night. I'll never forget the pure joy on their faces as they made eyes at each other on that stage. They have been playing together as husband and wife for more than a quarter century, and I'm happy to report they released another album together earlier this year. Point is, you can still believe in the sanctity of rock-and-roll marriages.

Here's a song I really like that Jones and Dixon wrote together. You can find it on her '96 album 'My Long-Haired Life,' produced by her hubby. Like a good marriage, Jones and Dixon know how to mix things up. It's a fine record filled with jangly originals and inspired covers. Give it a go.

As for Moore and Gordon, they only need to look as far as the Rosebuds to see the show can go on after the marriage ends.
'Loud Planes Fly Low' is one of this year's best albums.

Marti Jones - It's Not What I Want (mp3)
The Rosebuds - Woods (mp3)

No comments: