Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One of Blur's Finest Moments

I could be wrong but, as an outsider looking in, it seems like the buzz on the other side of the Atlantic right now is all Blur... all the time. Hey, it beats Lana Del Rey. There have been announced shows, the performance of a new song (see below), news of a possible album, as well as a lifetime achievement award coupled with a five-song television appearance. Blur is even headlining a special "Best of British" show from Hyde Park to help cap off the London Olympics this summer (along with the Specials and New Order). That little announcement only confirms what many of us over here instinctively knew: The UK is, simply, much cooler than the USA. Thinking about what a "Best of American" lineup would be if it was our Olympics makes me shudder.

Enough America bashing. Blur made one of my favorite albums of the 1990s with 'Parklife,' and I have been after the duet version of "To The End" that Damon Albarn sang with French chanteuse Françoise Hardy for quite some time. I love the addition of accordions and the long fade out with strings, but it's Hardy's voice that makes this worth acquiring. I can't claim to be up on my Hardy discography, but I have included a few clips of her work from the early to late 1960s. What a stunner! There's also some nice footage of her with Blur during the recording.

I got this take while hitting record stores in Glasgow a few weeks ago with The Vinyl Villain. It's one of the B-sides to Blur's
"Country House" single, but I believe it is also available as an A-side French import with an instrumental version, too. I'm glad I never succumbed to clicking my mouse for this one. I ended up paying 1 pound for it. Profitez-en!

Blur - To The End (La Comedie) (mp3)











No comments: