Friday, March 9, 2012

Lost Gem From 28-Year-Old Rhino Comp

I have a magnificent obsession. I recently picked up an '80s girl-group compilation from Rhino called 'The Girls Can't Help It.' The 1984 release has a couple of bands I'm familiar with, such as the Pandoras and Tiger Lily, but most of these gals are a mystery to me. Side one of the album closes with one of the catchiest pieces of pop I have heard in a long time. "Even Try" by On the Air sounds a lot like the work of the Bangles on their first EP, but it's a little more lo-fi and has some "mop-top" era Beatles thrown in. I have listened to it about 25 times this week, and it's more than worthy of two minutes of your time.

Info about On the Air is pretty scarce. Apparently, in the '80s, they released a six-song vinyl-only record on the Pulse label that was sold through Tower Records and Music Plus. These stores quickly went through the initial pressing of 2,000 units. Sounds good, right? It would have been if, in the meantime, Pulse had not flown the coop. It's an old story. There seems to be a music video for the song "Carol," off of that album, but I haven't been able to track it down. Shockingly, I have just discovered you can download the album, called 'This Can't Be Real,' from CD Baby and iTunes. There are six bonus tracks to boot. I would like to get my hands on one of those original pieces of vinyl. In the meantime, the digital download will have to do. If you know anything else about this intriguing group, please let me know.

I'm off to try and break the spell this song has over me. Bring on the college basketball!

On the Air - Even Try (mp3)

No comments: