Friday, April 6, 2012

A Trio From NME/Rough Trade 'C81'

I was a little bit too young to get the legendary cassette when it came out, but I have wanted 'C81' for as long as I can remember. I recently took the plunge and bought it for a very fair price from an Aussie on eBay. It came with the "owner's manual," and he also threw in an original Nov. 7, 1981, 1.5-star review of the tape from Dave McCullough, critic for NME rival Sounds. McCullough somehow manages to rip the project, NME and Rough Trade to pieces while patting himself on the back in the process. Brilliant! I'm a bit shocked I can't find this historical text online. Hopefully you can read the original Mrs. LTL! scanned in for me.


Let's take a listen to the three songs from the Postcard stable, and I'll follow it up tomorrow with a few lesser-known favorites. As an Aztec Camera fanatic, I particularly enjoy this lo-fi take of a later 'High Land, Hard Rain' gem.

Orange Juice - Blue Boy (mp3)
Josef K - Endless Soul (mp3)
Aztec Camera - We Could Send Letters (mp3)

No comments: