Tuesday, June 5, 2012

12 Inches of Love: 'Together in Electric Dreams'


By the time the film 'Electric Dreams' hit the big screen in 1984, my "fascination" with the Human League had already passed, but Philip Oakey had one last hurrah for me with this Oakey/Giorgio Moroder-penned song from the soundtrack. Oakey's brief involvement on the soundtrack didn't spring from any past relationship with Moroder. Rather, it was because the film's freshman director, Steve Barron, was the chap behind the brilliant video for the Human League's biggest smash, "Don't You Want Me." When Moroder asked him who he thought should sing it, Barron remembered his old mate. Oakey and Moroder must have had a fine time the day of the recording because they would go on to make an entire album together in 1985. Believe it or not, I just picked that one up for the first time earlier this year.

As for the film, I loved it as a kid, and it still holds a soft spot, but I'm quite sure it's just nostalgia. If I saw it for the first time now, I imagine seeing a wide-eyed and beautiful young Virginia Madsen would be the only thing keeping me from picking up the remote.

You can find this extended version on the Human League's much maligned import compilation 'Original Remixes & Rarities.'

Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder - Together in Electric Dreams (Extended) (mp3)

No comments: