Thursday, November 29, 2012

Music Video of the Year

I have seen quite a few interesting music promos this year, and I thought my nod for the best of 2012 would go to Sharon Van Etten's "Magic Chords," but an 11th hour entry has stolen my heart. The School's "Why Do You Have To Break My Heart Again?" is not only an ode to vinyl, but it's a really interesting way to illustrate the albums that have influenced the Cardiff band along the way. You'll find picture sleeves that look an awful lot like 'Pet Sounds,' 'Something Else,' and many other classics. It's quite a feast for the eyes. See how many favorites you can spot.

I really dig the School's style, and I'll get into all of that when the band pops up on my year-end list of top albums. Yes, 'Reading Too Much Into Things Like Everything' will be there. Today, however, is all about this brilliant video, and the directing team of Lucy Dawkins and Tom Readdy of Bristol-based Yes Please! Productions should take credit for this and many of the School's best clips. If you like the video below, I recommend searching for "Where Does Your Heart Belong?" and "Hoping and Praying" as well. They really seem to understand Liz Hunt and Co.'s music and the group's overall aesthetic. Well done.

No comments: