Thursday, July 25, 2013

Let's Extol Early Let's Active

The death of Faye Hunter, original bass player of Mitch Easter's jangle-pop band Let's Active, has hit me harder than I would have expected. Hunter appeared on the group's two earliest works, the EP 'afoot' and the full-length debut 'Cypress.' These were essential albums in my youth, and I have no qualms placing them beside 'Murmur' and 'Stands for Decibels' as the best of that whole Southern-tinged branch of the jangle-pop tree. I think part of the reason I can't shake this glum feeling is because even though I had not listened to or even thought of 'afoot' for ages it came to my mind like a thunderbolt last Friday when I was searching for a record to promote in my classic record recommendation graphic on this blog (see bottom right). Hunter, apparently, took her own life about a day later.

We all have unexplained coincidences like this, I know, but this is one of the stranger instances I have experienced. Here are the two opening songs from 'Cypress.' Rest in peace, Faye. This fine work cements your place in history. You will not be forgotten.

Let's Active - Easy Does (mp3)
Let's Active - Waters Part (mp3)

Buy 'afoot' and 'Cypress'

1 comment:

Someone Said said...

A very sad ending. She seemed quite cool.