Saturday, March 29, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 36)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

36. The Pastels - "Comin' Through"

Other Contenders: The band charted with seven sensational singles in the '80s. Until a few days ago I thought "Truck Train Tractor" was the one that would be on this list. Then I immersed myself in all things Pastels and flip-flopped.

Chart Entry: Oct. 31, 1987

Peak Position: No. 6

Comment: There are only a handful of bands on my list still making music that matters. If you have last year's 'Slow Summits,' I think you'll agree the Pastels fall into this intimate group. Ah, so many great songs. Stephen and Co. are probably best known for the material leading up to and including the c86 era, all full of jangle, fuzz and sloppiness, and I like that stuff too, but I think the toned-down sound that emerged in the very late '80s and early '90s is my favorite period. For examples, seek out "Thru' Your Heart," "Firebell Ringing" and "Thank You For Being You." Just before all of that came "Comin' Through," and I just love the orchestration. The use of instruments like glockenspiel, autoharp and cello are a preview of what a more mature Pastels would sound like in later years. Absolutely beautiful.

Buy "Comin' Through" on 'Truckload of Trouble.'

No comments: