Thursday, March 27, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 37)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

37. Shop Assistants - "Safety Net"

Other Contenders: "All Day Long" is the only other charting single, and that song deserved more than a passing thought for this list.

Chart Entry: Feb. 22, 1986

Peak Position: No. 2

Comment: Shop Assistants were only around for a heartbeat (what a shame there was only one full-length album), but I think their presence is being felt to this day. I won't name names, but there are quite a few bands out there that should be paying a huge debt of gratitude to this Edinburgh quintet. Hey, I'm not knocking it. Every generation of musicians takes from previous ones, and you may as well steal from the best. Doesn't it feel like we are hearing "I Don't Want to Be Friends With You," "All Day Long," "Almost Made It" and "It's Up to You" nearly every time we take a peek at Pitchfork? "Safety Net" is about as loud and as hard as Shop Assistants ever got. So turn it up and listen for... oh, never mind. I said I wouldn't out any of the blatant criminals.

Buy the "Safety Net" 7" single on Discogs.

2 comments:

Dirk said...

A great record. 'All That Evered Mattered' was fantastic as well ...

Brian said...

You said it, Dirk! Love it.