Wednesday, March 19, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 42)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

42. Razorcuts - "Sorry to Embarrass You"

Other Contenders: "Big Pink Cake" has always been delicious, but my favorite song is probably its B-side, "I'll Still Be There."

Chart Entry: Nov. 15, 1986

Peak Position: No. 10

Comment: They took their name from the closing line of Buzzcocks' "Love You More," but the band's brand of jangle had much more in common with the '60s three Bs... the Beatles, the Beach Boys and the 12-string strum of the Byrds. I prefer the early Subway Organisation singles to the later albums on Creation, but it's all wonderful. There's something about the lyric "Sorry to embarrass you/I thought you might feel the same" that really resonated with the awkward soul that I was... and I guess still am. Razorcuts could have been one of those buried and all but forgotten c86 bands, but the wonderful Matinee Records helped keep the music alive with the must-have compilation 'R is for... Razorcuts' about 12 years ago. If you can find it, get it!

Buy "Sorry to Embarrass You" on 'R is for... Razorcuts.'

No comments: