Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Christmas Gift For You From Rat Fancy

That headline didn't quite roll off the tongue like I thought it would. Apologies to Phil are in order, but not just from me. For at least three weeks now we have been subjected to contemporary pop stars making a mockery of our favorite holiday songs. I could go on and on, but I'll keep the Christmas crankiness to a single lump of coal. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should attempt "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)." It was done to perfection in 1963. The rest of you lot are wasting precious time and resources.

If, like me, you have had it with the same old same old from Mariah, Taylor and the lot, then I bring you glad tidings. From the "City of Angels" comes Rat Fancy, the latest member of HHBTM's stable of stars, with a truly original holiday song that's destined to become part of your festive season for years to come. "You Stole My Xmas Sweater" is all hand claps, head bobs and betrayal. In other words, indie pop at its best. It's being offered for free on their Bandcamp page here, but if the mood should strike, don't be afraid to toss a few shekels in the cup. 'Tis the season, you know.

Let's say good riddance to this less than stellar year already and look forward to a 2017 full of new music from the likes of Rat Fancy. HHBTM has announced debut EP "Suck A Lemon" is on the docket.

2 comments:

The Swede said...

That keyboard motif is as catchy as a cold at (ahem) Christmas. I notice that they've also covered The Ramones. What's not to like about these guys?

Brian said...

A band to keep an eye on for sure, Swede. Thanks for taking the time to write.